Thursday, February 18, 2010

Things I like: Good Smells

I just love good smells.  I'm a good smell addict.  I love walking into the house after being out for a few hours and a gentle slap of vanilla hits your nostrils as soon as you walk in.  Candles are great, but often take awhile to freshen a room.  My favorite quick scent fix is room sprays.  One quick spray and instant nose gratification.  Today, I'm going to show you how to make your own sprays in any scent you want.

These are super easy to make, and you don't need much in the way of supplies.

1 cup of distilled water
1 ounce of fragrance oil or essential oil
a spray bottle

Pour your water into your spray bottle, add your fragrance oil.  How much depends on you really.  I would recommend starting with half an ounce, approximately 3 teaspoons.  Shake it really good.  Store it in a cool, dark place for a couple of hours.  Shake well before every use. Give it a couple of test sprays.  If you think you want a stronger scent, add more fragrance oil by the teaspoons full until you got it the way you want it.  Make sure you label your bottle so it's not mistaken for something else and keep out of reach of the little ones and pets.  Keep any items you used for making the spray seprerate from your cooking items. Once something has touched fragrance oil, it's no longer good for human consumption.    If you plan on using this spray for items like bedding, couches, carpets, etc; I recommend doing a test spray first on a part of the item that is not visible.  Use the back of the couch, the carpet underneath a lounge chair, you get my meaning.  And if you plan on using this as a clothes freshner, do a test spray.  It could be damaging to some fabrics.    Also, for clothing I would recommend using fragrance oils that are bath and body safe.  Actually, I recommend that even if you are using it strictly as a room spray. 

Finding the supplies for the spray is easy.  Distilled water can be found in any grocery store or walmart.  Walmart is also a good place to buy the spray bottle or sometimes your local dollar store will carry them.   Fragrance oils can be bought at most craft stores like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.  I get mine online.  I think they are a better quality.  I get them from places like Bitter Creek , Just Scent , Candle Chem or Majestic Mountain Sage

I hope you enjoyed this quick tutorial and even more, I hope you enjoy making these quick and delightful room sprays.  Happy Crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment